TLC-ND Animal Rescue is a local, animal rescue group dedicated to helping animals in need of a loving, permanent home through no fault of their own. LuAnn Hinderscheit has been the coordinator of this ongoing effort since September of 2010 with a background of over 10 years as a volunteer for various animal rescue groups in ND, SD, MN and Manitoba. She is committed to educating and networking with others who are moved to “action” regarding the issue of too many unwanted, neglected, lost, and abused pets in our communities. Since April of 2011 she has volunteered to assist local animal control agencies to place dogs whose time is up (three days by law) and place them either in a local foster home or to find them a reputable rescue or animal shelter that they can be transported to. Cats have been removed from the Pound since May 2012 whenever possible to reduce euthanizations. Most of her rescue work is done through word of mouth or through the various message boards and social media that LuAnn is a member of on the internet. TLC-ND Animal Rescue is a foster home based, animal rescue meaning there is no one building to house all animals like an animal shelter. In order to be successful, support from the community is essential so that more animals can be fostered and adopted locally resulting in fewer euthanizations and sad endings. Foster animals adopted are all spayed or neutered (unless there is a medical reason for not doing so -- too young, etc.) and are up to date on their vaccinations.
At TLC-ND Animal Rescue, we work to …
- Adopt animals with the goal of it being a “perfect match” for the animal and its new person/family.
- Guarantee that each dog or cat that comes into rescue will be provided with all basic needs along with veterinary/medical care and rehabilitation.
- Provide consistency and structure in a firm but loving manner to increase good manners (emphasize basic training) resulting in a more “balanced“ cat or dog/pet that people enjoy spending time with.
- Promote spay/neutering to prevent the volume of unwanted cats and dogs in our area.
- Provide animal welfare education to adopters and the community.
- Reunite lost or stolen animals with their owners.
- Serve as an animal advocate - speaking for those who cannot speak for themselves.
- Research and follow-through on seeing a humane animal shelter become a reality for Devils Lake, ND and the surrounding areas.
- Provide our community with a “Food Bank” for dogs and cats.
- Work with local breeders that are choosing to no longer breed for profit and are seeking placement of their animals in foster care through TLC-ND Animal Rescue working in conjunction with other reputable animal rescue groups.